Pulitzer Prize Winning Editorials:
Step 1: Opening Activity: What is a Pulitzer Prize? With your group, read the link, and come up with a 1-2 sentence working definition.
Step 2: In your groups discuss the following questions. You should record your answers on your individual blog.
- Who was the writer/writers and for which publication?
- What was the PURPOSE of their editorials? (See "citation" tab)
- After reading a few of the articles, describe what types of resources they used and approximately how many in any given editorial.
- Did you detect any bias? Explain. Cite specific passages.
- How does the format, tone, and length of an editorial differ from a feature article?
Step 3: In your new group (as assigned by teacher), report out on your findings (questions 1-5) to your new group members. Each group member should take notes on the "expert" for the given editorial. Record answers to the questions on your blog.