2. Opinion Forum
Essential Question: Should the SAT be overhauled in the interests of creating a better, more fair test, or is it accurate the way it is?
1. Come to class on Wednesday with the below response questions answered. This will be worth a HW grade.
2. We will spend a maximum of five minutes on each question. After each question, you will have 1-2 minutes to write down any thoughts you need to for your written reflection, due next class.3. I will ask for volunteers to read each question to the class.
EVERYONE is expected to speak during the seminar. Your goal should be to make at least one of each type of comment:
- Think deeply about the text and discuss the original conclusions you come to. Mention ideas you come up with pertaining to issues in the text, or add your original thoughts to an issue someone else has brought up.
- Reference specific examples from the text that either support or disprove a claim being discussed.
- Evaluate what others say and then either challenge or build off them. Show that you are listening to your peers.
- Apply the concept in question to areas outside of the text area. How is the idea in question proven or disproven in your world?
3. Reflection- due next class
- What’s the one thing you wish there’d been time for you to tell the rest of the class?
- What did you learn from this discussion?
- What was the best thing you heard today?
- How has your thinking changed/deepened/improved as a result of this discussion?
- How do you think you participated in this Opinion Forum? How could you have participated better/more efficiently?
HW: Reflection and topic selection for Editorial #2. Think locally: what issues affect you, the school or the community?